Bill of Rights Project
For this assignment you are going to be the teacher. It will be your responsibility to teach an amendment from the Bill of Rights to the other students in the class. You will research an assigned amendment and present it to the class.
1) Research Amendment thoroughly
a. This includes understanding what the amendment is all about
b. You must know how the amendment has been interpreted by the
Supreme Court and some court cases to support your findings
2) Find some current events dealing with the topic
a. This can be from newspapers, internet, or even your own life
b. This must be current and relevant for the students
3) Find any debates or controversies dealing with the amendment
a. You should make the students think not just tell them what the amendment says
4) Prepare a simple handout for the class that includes all the important information
a. No more than a page
b. Should include the required information
c. Should be simple and easy to read
5) Come up with five quiz questions for the class to show they have understood what was taught to them
a. You will be graded on how thoughtful the questions are and on how well the class answers them.
b. The questions should be relevant and challenging but not impossible
6) Present all information to the class in a 10-15 minute presentation
a. All members of the group must participate
o Students should be serious and speak clearly
Grading: (75 pts possible)
• Handout, Research and Preparation: ______/40pts
• Quiz questions: ______/5pts
• Presentation: ______/30pts
• Extra Credit: (dress up, above and beyond) ______/10pts
Q&R – 1-5
P&A – 1, 2, 5, 8, 10
Q&R – 1, 3, 4, 6, 7
P&A – 1-3, 5, 7
Q&R – 1-5
P&A – 1, 3, 5, 6, 13
You need to log into your Google drive account and create a document to answer the following questions
1. Go to the CNN, FOX News, and BBC websites. What are the headline stories? How do
these stories differ from one another?
2. What other stories are covered on the websites? How is the order of these stories
different in each website?
3. What sensational stories are covered? Give two examples.
4. Are there stories that show a liberal or conservative bias? What are they? What is the evidence of bias?
5. Go to the 9 News website. What stories are covered? What are the differences between
local, national, and world news coverage?
6. Pick one of the websites and examine it for structural bias. Is there a bias in the kinds of stories that are covered? What is this bias? What is your. evidence of this bias?
7. Scan a a story on Fox News and CNN. Be sure that it is the same story. Look for
differences in language, in how people are described, etc. Note the location of the story on the website. What does the language chosen and the placement of the story tell you about bias?
When you are done with these 7 questions make sure that you share the file with me. Make sure it is titled per_media_last,first
P&A – 1, 3, 4, 5-8
HW Ch 13
QR – 1, 2, 5, 7, 8
P&A – 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 10